Despite the setbacks of 2020 and 2021, I believe that freedom is winning. Even as the fight (mostly non-violent, for now at least) for liberty seems to be approaching a crescendo around the world and here in the Fifty States. I think that one reason the push is so hard since the advent of the Beer Flu is because the enemies of liberty realize the tide is running out on them. If they don’t act soon to lock down their rule, they will probably be unable to do so.
This is particularly the case with technology. No, not (just) information technology, but technology in virtually every field. Things – devices, concepts, procedures – are being invented every day that allow for MORE individual liberty, MORE freedom for families, MORE independence for communities. Yes, the monopolies or near monopolies are trying (and seem to be succeeding) in choking off free communications, but when we look at the actual trends, they are losing rapidly.
We must remember that technology has played a VERY important role in regaining God-given freedom and human liberty in past ages:
- * The cotton gin made it possible to liberate plantation slaves after centuries of cotton slavery
- * The printing press made it possible to liberate much of Europe from thralldom to the Roman Catholic hierarchy and later from the absolute rule of kings and the system of nobility
- * Firearms – especially revolvers and rifles – allowed better, easier self-defense against tyrants and other bullies, especially for women and the elderly
- * Electricity and the tools using it liberated women and servants from much of the drudgery which had been their lot for millennia
- There are, of course, many other examples.
And while some (or even most) inventions CAN be turned to the “Dark Side” of human tyranny and the State, not all can. Let’s look at a few examples which give us hope for a brighter tomorrow of liberty, peace, and prosperity.
- * Non-energy-consuming methods of cooling heating
- * Permanent sources of electrical energy (including truly “green” and sustainable)
- * On-demand manufacturing of basic parts and devices (3D printing and more)
- * Improved medical diagnosis and personalized/specialized treatment and prevention (using DNA and other techniques and knowledge)
- * Instantaneous (well, nearly so) communications with more and more people around the planet and in orbit, not just with words but with sound, images (moving pictures!) and more
- * Remote learning and education
- * Data storage and retrieval: preserving and making knowledge available
- * Improved methods of self-defense and protection from aggression, both deadly and not
- * More and better ability to raise and produce our own food, water, and even medication and nutrients on small (family) scale
- When we look at these items, it seems to me that the primary advantage that this have is to make us each, as individuals and families, able to defend ourselves against the enemies of liberty. The nanny-staters, the so-called progressives (regressivists), the powers-that-be (or would-be), the parasites and the power-mad. Including the insane who believe that everyone else, if allowed to be free, would go out and do the same evil things that they fear they would do themselves.
Our power to shape our lives and those of our families in positive ways is greater now than at any time in history, thanks to the wonderful technology around us and available to us.
With this New Year of Liberty – look for how YOU can use technology to increase your liberty and to protect yourself and others against those who constantly try to steal it.
And while you are at it, share your ideas with us here at The Price of Liberty and our readers.