By Nathan Barton
In 2019, we see more and more ways that either Progressives (Regressives, especially Tranzis) or Conservatives can come unglued at what we say or do. Here are a few I came up with from recent news and events.
- Tell people that the parents of children, not their teachers (or the school or government), should decide what children should be taught.
- Wish someone “Happy Holidays.” (to Conservatives) Wish someone “Merry Christmas.” (to Regressives). [Some of us, just to frost people, have been using the greeting “Ave, Saturn” – reminding people that Christmas started out as Saturnalia, a pagan holiday leading up to the Winter Solstice. That ticks them all off.]
- Remind people that not that many years ago, most states didn’t even require drivers’ licenses to drive private automobiles. Not even illegal immigrants.
- Remind people that not that long ago, children didn’t wear bike helmets and played right out in the middle of the street with no adults watching them.
- Ask people how much KoolAid ™ they drank as children back in the day (or that their parents did) and how much of it was sugar-free. And how they didn’t suffer from it.
- Tell people that back when you could buy guns through the mail without any identification or background check, there weren’t the mass school shootings and such we have today.
- Remind people that you didn’t use to have to go through a border checkpoint or have a visa or even ID to go between Canada, Mexico and the Fifty States.
- Tell people that many used to dislike Catholic priests because they were priests, not because some of them were sexual predators.
- Tell people you are a libertarian: one half will put you into the pot-smoking, hippie, libertine category, and the other half into a basket with Attila the Hun as a right-wing totalitarian fascist. (Smile!)
- Say that you don’t think that Hannity, Limbaugh and Beck go far enough in opposition to government.
- State that you are concerned about new government activities having the efficiency of the post-office, the compassion of the VA, and the fiscal discipline of DoD.
- Point out that you see no real difference in statists like Sanders, Harris, Trump, Cruz, and virtually any other nationally known Democrat or Republican politicians: they all worship government power and take away our liberty.
- Explain that government-run, tax-funded (public) schools are socialist in intent and action, no different than public control of any other sector of our society and economy, like production, resources, and labor.
Of course, you can’t expect to win many friends – or even influence (for good, at least) many people with paleolithic ideas like these. But you may be surprised to find that there ARE people who WILL think about it and agree with you. And join in our cause of liberty.
I am guilty of all 13 and that is why a lot of people do not want to talk to me.
14. tell people that merit is desirable and is not condescending.
15. tell people that responsibility and accountability must return to all human actions.
Remind people that if a REAL Libertarian government with a Libertarian president and a Libertarian House, Senate and Supreme Court would ever take over that the Democrats would wish for the good old days when Donald Trump was the President because the government would shrink by 99% and the Republicans would wish that Obama was still in office because there would be no more “undeclared” wars or “police actions” making millions for the military industrial complex to donates billions to their party.