Call it what you will – it is clear that much of public discourse in 2021 consists of direct attacks on people’s liberty. That is, your liberty and my liberty. The news is daily filled with yet another example of how someone is attacked on various grounds for something that “someone” does not like. Even claimed that it is “society” that finds these words, actions, or mere existence to be wrong. Worthy of assault and “cancellation.”
Although I suspect it is in reality a small minority. And that most people are still willing to live and let live: to defend themselves and even attack others only when they and their families and communities are directly threatened. But that small minority appears to include those in power – political, financial, social. And they are VERY vocal.
Some examples, from various people and places:
- People are fired more and more for expressing their opinion or using the “wrong words” – stating or even implying their agreement with some politically-incorrect idea. (Or even failing to sufficiently denounce that idea.)
- Because of the above, workers are being intimidated into suppressing their thoughts and words about ANY subject, for fear that such will suddenly (even months or years later) be made “socially unacceptable” and they will lose their jobs.
- Even outside the workplace, anyone who might dissent from the current “social party line” is subject to group attacks. Not physical attacks (for the most part) but attacks on social and old media that tear down their reputation and encourage the “public” to insult, deny, and punish them for something they say (or don’t say).
- Open and overt racism based on a person’s skin color. (Although it is claimed that “racism” is not possible for anyone who is not “privileged” by their race or ancestry. I don’t know what it is when someone who is “woke” is exhibiting all the indications of racism against their own race.)
- More and more open denial of basic science, especially biology. No, I am NOT writing about denying theories of science or hypotheses. I mean denial of basic FACTS, such as genetic programming of our DNA and anatomy. Examples? The “existence” of more than two sexes for 99.999% of the human population (XX and XY). The claim that someone who has XY chromosomes can be “female.” The claim that people are responsible for their ancestors’ (often distant ancestors’) acts and attitudes.
- More and more perversion of the English (and other) languages. Redefinition of words on a constant basis. We all recall 1984 and Brave New World, but today this is on a scale that beggars the imagination even of those two writers. Immediately followed by various forms of enforcement against anyone who dares to use the old definitions.
- The assumption of totally-evil (well, absolutely politically-incorrect; is there a difference today) motives for someone saying, writing, or doing ANYthing which is contrary to the current popular ideas regarding beliefs, practices, or opinions.
- Worse, the fear (or supposed fear) of the administrators, public boards, corporate boards, managers, and others in positions of authority is so thick that you can slice it. ANY protest, ANY complaint, ANY challenge by the woke left, the social-justice warriors, and their ilk is a reason (or excuse) to destroy people’s liberty. Is this truly a fear of being “cancelled” or an excuse to do what they want to take away liberty – and thus destroy our culture and society?
We could cite hundreds, even thousands, of examples, but here are just a few:
- The University of Texas at San Antonio, a mega-university with more than 30,000 students banned the use of flags with the slogan “Come and Take It” (featuring a football, NOT a rifle or cannon). As reported in the Texas Tribune, the school got a petition with about 900 people complaining that the mere words are racist, bigoted, white-supremacy, and considered a threat to anyone in a large number of groups. True, in one way, a college banning certain flags from football games and campus is no big deal. But in so many ways it is a harbinger of future attacks on individual liberty: not just self-expression but more.
- The State of Wyoming is being “cancelled” by Yahoo News AND Insider concerning the disappearance of some “YouTube” star last seen in Moab, Utha, claiming that 710 “indigenous women – mostly girls” (AmerInd) have disappeared in Wyoming in a ten-year period from 2011-2020. (Supposedly her body was found near Jackson, Wyoming, over the weekend.) I find the report making this claim to be very suspicious: Wyoming only has 600,000 people – and supposedly more than 1/10 percent have disappeared? And Wyoming (2019 data) only has about 14,000 AmerInd – mostly members of the Northern Arapahoe and Eastern Shoshone Nations. And supposedly FIVE percent of those people disappeared? Besides that, the young woman who disappeared from Moab does not seem to be an AmerInd woman. Of course, Wyoming is a eeevvilll State – it supported Trump (although it has the Never-Trumper Cheney in office for now), had a couple of people decades ago that killed a homosexual, and mines coal. What better State to attack and steal away its liberty?
Liberty is under attack, and I hasten to point out that it is NOT just from the woke social justice warriors and so-called progressive left. The conservatives (neo-con AND other) and even the so-called anarchists are pushing against our personal liberty constantly.
We must fight to preserve what we have left and regain what we have lost.