By Nathan Barton
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Obi-Wan was wrong. The writers that penned those words knew it. Because they lived in a worse, more wretched hive.
It is called California.
California has always been a morally-, ethically-, liberty-challenged society and land. Here are some examples from the history of the area and state:
- Start with the AmerInd peoples and tribes, occupying a land of indolence for millennia before the Spanish came. Able to live off the fat of the land with relatively little work as compared to the nations to the east and north (especially those of the Great Basin and deserts of the Southwest, the Rockies, and the Great Plains), they were lazy and (according to many early observers) completely without ambition, industry, responsibility, or morals of any sort.
- Then look at the friars and soldiers who came next. They claimed their goal was to bring “Christianity” (well, Catholicism) to the natives. But they treated those AmerInd people as if they were of the same nature as the Azteca and the tribes and nations of New Mexico and Arizona and New Spain. Both in skills and evil. No different from the Moors from which Spain herself had been liberated only a century or so before. The Spanish used this as an excuse to enslave the AmerInd, as peons on the mission farms and estates of the hidalgos. The Spaniards did not even follow their own moral codes.
- The Mexican governments which followed were no different. So the new immigrants into the area from other parts of the Empire and then Republic were no different than their colonial predecessors. The Californios rapidly became as indolent as their Spanish and Coastal Tribe predecessors. And as corrupt.
- Now come the Norte Americanos, first a rivulet, then a torrent. Eager to exploit a new land and quickly exploding in excitement with the discovery of GOLD. They were hard workers, although much of the hard work they did was in the form of conning people (Indios and Californios and each other), robbing and stealing and killing, and generally the work of scumbags.
- They got worse. Consider San Francisco and its Barbary Coast. And the corruption of Anglo government (worse than that of their Hispanic predecessors) led to more and more evil.
- The short-lived California Republic was admitted directly to the Union in the Compromise of 1850, as a “free state”. Despite the continued enslavement of the surviving AmerInd peoples, the white slavery of the big ports, and the shanghai-ing (enslaving) of sailors and landlubbers alike by merchant ships.
- In 1860, “free” California barely went for Lincoln, which may have led directly to the War Between the States. (Which California virtually sat out.)
- In the Old West era, Californians continued their immoral ways; wiping out AmerInd tribes, exploiting the Californios, often conning and fleecing the new immigrants from the Eastern US, and treating the Chinese immigrants like dirt of the gutter.
- During the American expansion into international imperialism, California took full advantage of its position during the war against Spain and the subsequent occupation of the Philippines, profiteering from the efforts of DC to “civilize them with a Krag.”
- It is no wonder the infant movie industry chose to establish itself in Southern California in the early 20th Century. (More than just weather!) The morality of show-biz, well established in the “legitimate” theatre and burlesque and saloon entertainment, came to LaLa Land. And loved both the real and moral climate.
- It was natural for the new media moguls of Hollywood to ally themselves with the yellow journalists and then the broadcast barons of New York. The wealth and corruption of San Francisco, especially the Hearst empire, joined in an unholy triumvirate of influence-peddling and profiting from pandering to the public.
- Many fleeing the Red Revolution in Russia (the Whites) were the corrupt autocrats and taskmasters of the Tsarist regime. In San Francisco and Los Angeles, they found themselves at home.
- In the Dust Bowl era, the Okies and Arkies, though with many good, hard-working, down-on-their-luck types, also had the grifters and grafters and con-artists and hold-up artists. They loved California, and it loved them.
- California’s war profiteering from the War in the Pacific made fortunes, especially for civic leaders and union leaders, but right down to Street-corner Sally and the rest of a growing and prospering parasite criminal class.
- All these were joined by the tongs and corrupt, and opportunistic Chinese fleeing from the fall of the imperial regime and then the war between the Kuomintang, Mao’s Communists, and the Japanese. All more seasoning for the corrupt and corrupting society of California.
- It was rinse and repeat from 1950 to 1953 with Korea, and 1963-1973 with ‘Nam. More aggression, more blood-sucking, and more wealth from immoral ways: both “home boys” and immigrants.
- Is it any wonder that the surge of immigrants since 1986 has (along with many hardworking people) brought a huge number of gangbangers and those who want an easy living? And fit right in?
With this history, of course, the education, experience, morals, and mental abilities and attitude of too many modern Californians is well below the gutter and into the sewer? California is a cesspool, with a complete disconnect with reality. California has become the plaything of the controllers, the statists, and those who prey upon the innocent.